Friday, April 13, 2012

On the Verge of an Overdose

I must be addicted.  That's the only way I can rationalize it.  I am addicted to being kicked, spit on, and down right disrespected... by carp.  In the last eight days I have spent over seven hours chasing those pursed lipped scum suckers.  I have had three fish eat my black bunny leech.   They suck it into their leathery chops, I set the hook and the dull hook fails to penetrate or they deftly spit out the fake or my poor excuse for a knot disintegrates into powder and I am left staring at a mud plume where a giant fish was seconds ago.  I have been so close to crossing off another item on the list.  All the hard monotonous work has been done and it is time to enjoy fighting the fish and bringing it to hand, and I just can't do it.

Tomorrow, I'm picking my teeth up.  I'm learning a new line to line knot, tying on a new leader, sharpening my hooks and attempting to completely erase the part of my memory that contains the steps to tying a clinch knot.  I am fairly positive the clinch knot is the only knot that has the ability to decrease the strength of your fishing line by 80 percent.

I'm starting to think fisherman bring their fish home to brag about and carp bring home my flies .


4 comments:

  1. This week, here in Rockbridge Co., someone caught a carp that weighed at least 70lbs. It maxed out the 70lb scale so it actually weighed more. They didn't mention in the newspaper article what kind of knot was tied.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a massive carp. I was only chasing fish around 10 lbs. The PA record is only 52 lbs!

      Delete
  2. 70 pound carp is huge! They put up a good fight but can't keep those buggers! Have you tried fishing off a donkey yet maybe you'll catch a carp and cross two things off the list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet. That is coming in July! The foreigners around here keep carp all the time... I'm assuming they eat them.

      Delete