Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Always Check Your Line

I've been pretty busy lately.... lots of work and driving and little fishing.  Yesterday we got a steady rain, our first in a long time, resulting in about 0.5 inches of rain.  This caused the roads to turn into asphalt rivers for a brief period of time and our rivers to turn into a violent milkshake.  I managed to drive by a local lake and decided I had about 10 minutes to wet a line so I pulled in, grabbed my rod and the first fly attached to it.  I gave my line a once over and noticed some nicks toward the fly end but decided it would be able to endure the couple of sunnies I was probably going to catch.  Bad decision.  I was nearing my time limit and made that "one more cast."  Right before I pulled the wooly bugger out of the water I snagged my fly where I have done so before.  To free it, I gave it a quick jerk and it felt like the snag moved, so I repeated the same action and managed to get the snag free and start coming toward the surface.   Just as I realized I had a couple pounds of meat on the other end of my line, the meat realized he had a fake food item in his mouth and gave one swift kick with his tail snapping my tippet like spider web.  I looked to see where the line broke off, and sure enough, it was the nicked portion of line.  I am still kicking myself for not replacing that portion of line, an action that would have only took 30 seconds.  This taught me my lesson for next time.... and hopefully you.

No comments:

Post a Comment